Please join CAN-TECH for a roundtable discussion with Norman Bacal, experienced leader, bestselling author, business consultant, speaker and founder of the Toronto office of Heenan Blaike, as he addresses the skills that drive professional success and how to be a better legal professional.
Norman will cover the following topics in this session:
The Essence of Communication:
- Slaying the Plurality Beast
- It's not about you
- Verbal and non-verbal cues
- More effective writing (and how to achieve it)
- Public speaking skills
The Essence of Great Service:
- Dealing with perception and reality
- Putting the client first (what does that mean in real terms)
- Setting expectations and meeting them
- Trouble-shooting when things go off the rails
The Avoidable Mistakes We All Make:
- How to frame a problem
- Factoring in cost, leverage and situation into providing the best advice
How To Build Your Client Base:
- Leveraging off a client relationship
- The value of industry associations
- Keeping client front of mind
- Establishing and marketing specific expertise
About the Speaker
Norman Bacal has had a varied career in the law. For many years he was recognized as a leading expert in film and television finance, working for many US studios, including MGM, Warner Bros, and Sony and sat on the board of directors of Lions Gate for almost ten years.
He was the founder of the Toronto office of Heenan Blaike and went on to help build its brand as its national co-managing partner for almost sixteen years. Prior to leaving management in 2013, the firm was widely regarded as a well-known name in Canadian law, home to prime ministers Trudeau senior and Chretien, and Supreme Court justices Bastarache and Gascon.